1. Background Readings to be Completed: Pages 27-37
2. Additional Practice and Review: You should have notes that allow you to answer these questions or you can complete Check your Understanding 1-5 Page 34 & 1-4 Page 37
3. Class Discussion:
Who/What determines the economic system that a country uses?
Two main classifications : 1.Democracy 2. Dictatorship Discussion: Communism, Socialism, Democracy and Fascism – which is the best for economic stability and growth? Discussion: Every political-economic system attempts to establish goals and a focus for resources – what are those goals? Who should determine them?
4. Does economics/international trade help or hinder human development?
Discussion: Gunder Frank and David Ricardo
Discussion: the North Atlantic Slave Trade Triangle and the Luddites
Reduced Public Debt
Increased Productivity and Efficiency
Equitable Distribution of Income
Viable Balance of Payments and a Stable Currency
7. Group Assignment (Present Findings Thursday):
Complete the following chart for your assigned party (present findings on Thursday to the class):
The Environment for firms and individuals- economic systems
The 3 basic questions for any economy
The decision making framework:
by market forces
Additional Practice and Review (30 min)
1.Read Pages 27-28
2.Read skill builder : Page 29 look at Questions 1-4
3. Come up with another example of adding value through additional processing or refinement of a product
You should be able to answer the following questions:
What point(s) are productively inefficient, efficient, and not possible?
Why is it called the production possibilities frontier?
What part of the graph illustrates diminishing returns?
What is opportunity cost and how does the graph illustrate this concept?
Assignment (For Submission on Wednesday): Prepare a chart demonstrating 6 production possibilities and the opportunity cost of one item. Label a point (L) that demonstrates unemployed resources (inefficient production) and a point unattainable with current resources and technology (M).